About Planet Rail
Planet Rail was set up by Guy Saunders to offer you the opportunity to experience some of our favourite rail journeys and to visit some of our most treasured destinations. His aim is to give every one of you, our customers, the personal attention you deserve. Working from offices in rural North Yorkshire, Guy and his team are passionate about rail travel – and we believe it is as much the journey as the destination that excites us.
We also acknowledge that travel has a huge impact on our environment, which is why we promote holidays by rail (Rail is Greener than flying) wherever possible.
Guy has worked in travel for over 20 years at a senior level for companies including Eurocamp, MyTravel and Great Rail Journeys. He speaks fluent French, and Italian, German and Spanish, has lived and worked abroad, and has an extensive knowledge of Europe, North America and Australia.
His specialist knowledge of Italy, Switzerland and France, and, of course, rail travel, can help you to craft your perfect holiday. He lives in Stillington with his partner, Kate, and their 16 year old son, Finlay.
We are a small, family-run company with an ethical approach to travel and a belief in providing you with the human touch of a more personal and comprehensive service. Guy personally checks every detail of each customer’s holiday. Our goal is to ensure we do everything possible to organise the right holiday for you.
The benefits of Rail Travel
Customers who regularly travel abroad by train know that it is the civilised alternative to flying with the following benefits:
- Speedy check-in with safe and efficient security checks
- Relax and enjoy the journey as you view the ever-changing landscape from the comfort of your seat
- Confidence that you will have your luggage with you when you arrive
- Watch the world go by during a meal in the restaurant car
- Move around the train freely at all times
- Get closer to the culture of the country you travel through
- Arrive at the very heart of the city
- Excellent quality and great value for money
Wherever you choose to travel and whatever you decide to visit you will find that our holidays combine great value for money and excellent quality. Our aim is to ensure you have a fantastic time and return hungry for more! We therefore strive to offer a more flexible service and give you the opportunity to tailor-make your own holiday.
Knowledgeable, helpful and enthusiastic staff
Planet Rail is based in rural North Yorkshire. Everyone in our small, dedicated team has a passion for our featured rail journeys, the regions and the types of holiday we offer, and we make sure that our staff experience our rail journeys, hotels and holidays so that they can offer the best possible service to our customers.
Tailor-made and Flexible travel arrangements
We appreciate that many of our group and individual customers value the independence of creating their own holiday. At Planet Rail we strive to give you the freedom to do some or all of the following:
- Decide where and when you want to travel and for how long (subject to available trains)
- Choose your preferred class of travel – First or Standard Class
- Devise your own multi-centre holiday (we can offer new destinations on request)
- Treat yourself to an upgrade
- Include excursions (where not part of our itinerary)
- Create your own itinerary (we can devise bespoke itineraries on request)
- Choose to fly to/from a destination with a choice of airlines
- Travel by overnight sleeper train
For more information about our tailor-made service please just pick up the phone or send us an email request.
Fully-escorted and tailor-made group holidays
We offer fully-escorted group holidays to a variety of exciting destinations, including Italy and Germany. There are numerous benefits to these types of holiday:
- You will be fully escorted by one of our friendly, professional Tour Managers. Thanks to their organisational and social skills they ensure that all our arrangements run smoothly, allowing you to relax, meet new friends and have a fabulous holiday.
- When we visit an attraction as a group we benefit from the expertise of a local guide, who will often add a whole new dimension to the experience.
- Every excursion, city tour and sightseeing visit we describe in the itinerary is included in the price. We make it clear on each holiday itinerary exactly what is included, so you can budget accordingly, safe in the knowledge there are no hidden extras.
Planet Rail offers a tailor-made service for groups of 6 or more people, allowing you and a group of friends or colleagues to travel together by rail on the itinerary of your choice. What’s more you will be able to enjoy excursions to some fascinating and unique destinations and experiences, sometimes at a reduced cost. We can cater for groups of any size so if you are a local association or organisation we can take the hassle out of organising a trip for you and your friends. You will also benefit from valuable savings, including free places*, which will make your planned trip more affordable. We also include the services of a professional tour manager * on some tours
* dependant on the tour and number of passengers travelling.
Committed to the environment
At Planet Rail we believe that everyone has a responsibility to ‘do their bit’ to protect the world we live in. For that reason we work hard to reduce our own emissions wherever possible and promote greener forms of travel (Rail is Greener than flying). We are committed to the values of responsible and sustainable tourism and reflect this in the way we work and do business.
We recognise that actions speak louder than words, so we have decided to make both Planet Rail as a business and all our rail holidays Carbon Neutral at no extra cost to you. We also acknowledge that for some customers this is less of an issue than for others. We therefore offer those who choose to fly to/from their destination the option to offset the additional emissions created by their journey.
In-resort services and attention to detail
We want you to relax and enjoy your holiday to the full, so we take care of all the details, from choosing the best routes and times to travel, to making suggestions about what to see and do at your chosen destination. We can organise those important finishing touches which can really make your holiday even more special:
- Pre-arranged tickets for special events such as the Verona Opera.
- Flowers, fruit or wine in your room to welcome you on arrival
- Private transfers to/from the airport (private transfers from the station to/from your hotel are normally included in your holiday)
- Complete peace of mind
To guarantee your complete financial security, Planet Rail is a member of the Travel Trust Association (Membership number U5374 ). We believe it offers the most complete protection for travellers available in the UK.